Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Lovely Weekend



I took a trip this past weekend. All by myself. For 5 whole days. All by myself. I went to St. George, to the land of sunshine even in January, and spent most of my time inside my hotel room. This was not because I was afraid to go out, nor was it because I didn't have anything to do. I had plans for my weekend alone, BIG ones. Rest, go to the temple, write, read, sleep, go to the temple again, rest, write, read, sleep. It was heavenly.

I have a thing for the pioneer-era temples. It seems that somehow, I am just a bit more in tune there, a bit closer to the Lord. This weekend's visit was no exception. I had some specific questions to ask, and needed some calm and quiet, away from distrations. I found that quiet in the temple. This makes two remarkably spiritual experiences in this particular temple. I love it.


This picture was one of my favorites, and I wish I could have been back a bit so there was more of the temple in the picture. It is of the temple and the American Flag, representing God, Family, Country. The temple is a place to find God, and to seal families together. We live in the best country in the world, albeit not without problems, that allows us the opportunities to pursue God and Family. What a blessing.

I did other things as well, on my alone weekend. I went to Barnes and Noble, twice. I went window shopping. I went to see the Brigham Young winter home. I went to an antique store (well, in all fairness, it was more like a junk store, but it reminded me of some people I love, so I got warm fuzzies and had an enjoyable time. But really... A metal replica of a sailing ship, with a big, fat, ceramic red chili pepper on the helm? Antique? Really?) I bought a sketch book and took pictures, went to church, sketched (sort of) a beautiful view of the temple. I even went to a store in the mall (which, by the way, is for teenagers and old people if you are in St. George...mostly very boring.) and looked at hand-forged, authentic (though cheap) samurai swords. I already have two of my own, so I wasn't in the market, but the young oriental salesman found it shocking that a middle-aged, matronly-looking 40-something actually KNEW what she was talking about when she asked to see the swords. It made me giggle inside.

All in all, I had a fabulous weekend, and was well-rested when I returned. I had two friends ask me within the first day if I was tired of being alone yet. Here is a quote from my journal, kept on this trip: "So, am I [tired of being alone]? No. I feel like I have stumbled upon a private, quiet beach, which beckons me to come for a splash in the water. So I creep onto the beach, conscious of the precious opportunity I have, and dip my toes carefully into the water, not wanting to waste even a single moment..."

Yes, it was a good trip. Good for my mental health, good for my physical health, and definitely on the books now as an annual (maybe even semi-annual) event.

1 comment: